The Pediatric Congenital Heart Association’s mission is to “Conquer Congenital Heart Disease.” We are accomplishing this through collaboration with patients, parents, providers, and partner organizations to improve quality and outcomes through CHD education, support, research and awareness.
The PCHA-OH chapter is a program of PCHA, aimed at improving the lives of those with congenital heart disease and their families through direct support and education – meeting families where they are.
Through our State Chapters we are able to give knowledge, give a voice and give hope, directly meeting the comprehensive, lifelong needs of patients with congenital heart disease and their families through support, education, advocacy and research programming.
Local activities include:
- Conquering CHD Kits offering critical information and a personal connection for patients with CHD of all ages through individualized care packages
- Online chat networks bringing people with similar experiences together
- In-person peer support offering patients and families encouragement and insight from someone who has walked a similar path
- Social events providing a safe environment to celebrate life and simple joys together
- Physician education improving understanding of congenital heart disease from the patient and family perspective
- Research promotion and participation helping promising developments become reality
- Advocacy activities sharing our stories to improve federal research funding
For more information specifically about the Ohio chapter, email PCHA.OH@conqueringchd.org
Find us on Social Media:
Upcoming Events and Activities
Conquering CHD Walk OhioDate: September 21, 2019 9:00 AM Location: Mirror Lake at Eden Park
Join the Pediatric Congenital Heart Association - Ohio and heart families from across the state and beyond to walk for Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) on September 21, 2019. Our 2nd annual heart walk will take place at Mirror Lake in Eden Park, Cincinnati. The mile walk will honor those born with CHD, memorialize those lost to CHD, and uplift their families and those who continue to battle each day the #1 birth defect. Registration is FREE. All proceeds go to PCHA-OH to continue its mission to "Conquer Congenital Heart Disease" by providing hospital care kits, dinners, holiday parties, and peer support to families at Cincinnati Children's and Nationwide Children's Hospitals. As of this year, PCHA-OH is now offering medical research grants to local doctors and researchers doing promising work to improve the quality of life and outcomes for those living with CHD. Together, we are Conquering CHD!Register to walk, form a team, join a team, or donate! >
HOST A CONQUERING CHD KIT DRIVE OR PACKING PARTY!
The Pediatric Congenital Heart Association’s mission is to Conquer Congenital Heart Disease (CHD). We aim to improve the lives of those with CHD by providing education to patients and families, the public, and the medical community. PCHA-Ohio works in close collaboration with children’s hospitals
throughout the state, to provide educational meetings, socials, and distribution of Conquering CHD Kits. The Conquering CHD Kit is a gift from others who have been on a journey impacted by CHD. One in 100 babies are born with congenital heart defects. They are often sent to a hospital outside their hometown to have surgery. Their parents may have nothing more than the contents of their wallet or purse. Filled with everyday items for a hospital stay, the kit also provides educational materials, and hope and comfort to families who receive them. Consider organizing a Conquering CHD Kit Drive & Packing Party! This is a fun way to pay it forward and engage outside organizations to get involved. Your church, school, community or civic organization can help collect the following:
● Travel sized toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush
● Hand sanitizer, dental floss, and chapstick
● Coloring books for children and adults and 8-packs of crayons, colored pencils, and markers
● Crossword puzzles, sudoku books, and decks of cards
● Single serve snacks such as granola bars, crackers, goldfish, and fruit snacks
● Gum or mints
For questions or to get started, contact email@example.com.
TO REQUEST A KIT, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter President – Tabitha Donner
Chapter Secretary – Serena Burks
Chapter Treasurer – Breanna O'Day
Lead Coordinator of Central Ohio – Kimi Kline
Lead Coordinator of Greater Cincinnati – Leslie Sams
Bereavement Coordinator - Swati Kunduri
Educational Coordinator - Traci Nestheide
Kit Coordinator - Beth Kerl
Fundraising Coordinator - Gina Menninger
30 Days of A Grieving Mother
Losing a child is a trial like no other. There is no one set way to grieve. There is no one way to carry on. In this special post, Heather Speakman, shares part of her family's journey after the loss of her daughter, Madison.Full Story>