Sample Texts For Advocates
Tweet: [@Senator/@Representative] you can help conquer the most common birth defect by funding research and telehealth. Use your next 5 minutes to help millions of children and adults: https://www.conqueringchd.org/congress-can-help-conquer-chd/
Phone Call for person at front desk or Health staff:
- Thank you for taking my call.
- I’m calling to ask Senator/Congressman [Last Name] to help the millions of children and adults with the most common birth defect, congenital heart disease, by funding important research and data collection and by continuing strategies that make it easier for people to access their doctors and care team through telehealth.
- Specifically we are asking Congress to appropriate the full $10M for congenital heart disease surveillance and research authorized by the Congenital Heart Futures Reauthorization Act.
- In addition we are asking that Congress continue to support telehealth activities enacted under emergency rule that provide essential services for those with limited ability to access care.
- I am willing to complete an appropriations request form if that would be helpful. I am also happy to share additional information if you’d like to provide me with an email.
- Thank you for your time.
Email / Webform:
If using a webform, address to the Senator/Representative, if emailing a staff member, use the staff member’s name and where it says ‘you’ change to the name of the Senator/Representative.
Everyone can agree that we all want to see people born with the most common birth defects live long healthy lives. This is challenging because there is no cure. [ADD 1 or 2 SENTENCES HERE ABOUT YOUR CONNECTION TO CHD]
You can help the millions of children and adults living with congenital heart disease live long and healthy lives through important research and data collection and by continuing strategies that make it easier for people to access their doctors and care team through telehealth.
Congress has been given permission to fund $10M each year for CHD research and data collection at the CDC, but it is currently funded at only $7.25M. The FY2022 budget passed last week included only a slight increase from $7M. But there is still more money that they can approve. As they work on the 2023 budget, we are asking Congress to fund the full $10M they are allowed to spend.
The pandemic brought about many challenges. Including how people access their health care team. For a while, it wasn’t even possible to go to a clinic or hospital. As part of emergency protocols, Congress supported the use of telehealth which accelerated the use of this tool for a multitude of purposes. But these were quickly implemented as temporary measures. We need you to continue to support telehealth as it helps reduce barriers for those who are unable to access care even when there isn’t a pandemic.
We urge Congress to prioritize these two things in the FY2023 Budget:
- Research Matters: Fully fund the $10M for congenital heart disease surveillance and research authorized by the Congenital Heart Futures Reauthorization Act
- Access for all: Continue to support telehealth activities that provide essential services for those with limited ability to access care
For additional background information please visit this site: https://www.conqueringchd.org/congress-can-help-conquer-chd/
If you have any questions please let me know or contact the policy person at Conquering CHD: Amy Basken (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thank you for all that you do to support people living with CHD. Together, we are Conquering CHD!
[YOUR CITY, STATE]