Join fellow advocates in D.C. and email Congress!
As you read this, more than 180 fellow advocates are on Capitol Hill meeting with their Members of Congress as part of the 2017 Congenital Heart Legislative Conference. They are asking their lawmakers to support research, data collection and awareness activities related to congenital heart disease (CHD). This includes recruitment of co-sponsors for the recently introduced Congenital Heart Futures Reauthorization Act of 2017.
We need you to participate from home!
Help us bring the voice of CHD to Washington by sending an email to your Members of Congress.
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Find your legislator’s contact information.
– If this is your first time reaching out, use the contact form on the legislator’s website to send your email. Visit www.senate.gov or www.house.gov.
– If you have identified the Health LA, or had a previous contact with your member or a member of their staff, please feel free to use the direct email address you were given.
2. Copy and paste the email below – adding your own personal story.
3. Send it!
You did it! If you successfully connect with your legislator or their office, let us know you made contact by completing our online form available here.
This is a very exciting day and a great opportunity to work together to Conquer CHD!
Subject: Support Congenital Heart Disease Research
Dear Senator/Congressman [Fill in name here],
I’m writing to urge you to support federal research, surveillance and awareness for congenital heart disease (CHD).
Every 15 minutes, a baby is born with congenital heart disease, the most common birth defect and leading cause of birth defect related infant death. Even for those who receive successful intervention, it is not a cure. Children and adults with congenital heart disease require ongoing, costly, specialized cardiac care and face a lifelong risk of permanent disability and premature death. As a result, healthcare utilization among the congenital heart disease population is significantly higher than the general population.
Continued federal investment is necessary to provide rigorous epidemiological and longitudinal public health surveillance and public health research on infants, children, adolescents and adults to better understand congenital heart disease at every age, improve outcomes and reduce costs.
We urge Congress to:
- Cosponsor the Congenital Heart Futures Reauthorization Act (S.477/H.R.1222). To cosponsor this important legislation please contact Max Kanner (email@example.com) with Senator Durbin’s office or Shayne Woods (Shayne.Woods@mail.house.gov) with Congressman Bilirakis’ office.
- Provide $7 million to the CDC and $2 billion over FY2017 to the NIH in fiscal year 2018; if including in your appropriations request, sample language is available
- Join the Congenital Heart Congressional Caucus (for House Members – contact Shayne.firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you would like any additional information please contact Amy Basken at email@example.com.
[Your Name – your city/state]