Heart Month 2022 is over, but our work to conquer the most common birth defect is not. Let’s look back at a month of coming together as a community, of awareness, hope, the sometimes hard realities, and raising our resounding #CHDVoice as one.
As most of us within the CHD community know, February is about more than just Valentine’s Day – it’s Heart Month and our chance to unite to give knowledge, a voice, and hope to all those we meet!
Each year in February, we share stories of hope, CHD facts and statistics to raise awareness, as well as to help others understand how common congenital heart defects are, the need for continued research, and the critical importance of access to quality care.
This year was no different. Together, our #CHDVoice was heard loud and proud! Together, we were fierce. Together, we were strong. Together, we were inspiring. Together, we were extraordinary!
Let’s look back at a month of coming together as a community, of awareness, hope, the sometimes hard realities, and raising our resounding #CHDVoice as one.
In February 2022:
- We reached 2,603,062 people across our social media platforms, website visits, and emails
- 152,000 of you liked, shared, or commented on over 400 of our social media posts
- We interacted with many of you personally through over 8,000 incoming and outgoing messages
- We raised $60,000 together – funds which will help us continue to provide resources, support, and hope to ALL those impacted by congenital heart disease
Stories of Hope
One of our favorite parts of Heart Month is seeing and hearing your amazing CHD stories! Whether you sent us your story with our “Share Your Story” form, tagged us in your posts on social media, or reached out to us on social media to share – we loved it all! These are just a few of your favorite stories throughout the month:
Realities of CHD
While we wish we only had positive, hopeful stories to share throughout Heart Month, we would be remiss if we didn’t also highlight some of the more difficult realities of congenital heart disease. During Heart Month, we try to reach a wider audience and raise awareness outside of the CHD community, which sometimes requires sharing both the positive, hopeful stories, but also some of the more intense realities we face. Because our staff, volunteer network, and supporters are patients with CHD, parents or family members of patients, care providers, etc, we know firsthand that the CHD community is well-versed in these difficult facts. Unfortunately, the general public isn’t.
Some of these facts are difficult to see. Some have official, medical language which can feel hard and unfeeling. Some just reflect a reality we wish wasn’t the case. We share facts as they are, even if they’re not what we’d like them to be, because we want those outside of our community to understand CHD – all of it. By sharing these facts, even the tough ones, we not only spread awareness above and beyond the CHD community, but educate on the realities of congenital heart disease, both positive and negative, and turn that awareness into the action that creates change.
Our Work Isn’t Over
Heart Month 2022 is over, but our work to conquer the most common birth defect is not. You don’t have to wait for Heart Month to roll around again to get involved and make a difference.
- Share your story and your #CHDVoice
- Connect with others in the CHD community through our chapter network or our virtual groups
- Conquering CHD for Teens and Adults: https://www.facebook.com/groups/conqueringchdteensadults/
- Estamos Conquistando CHD!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ConquistandoCHD
- Bereaved Hearts – Conquering CHD: https://www.facebook.com/groups/894948250657241/
- Stay connected with Conquering CHD to learn about upcoming events, Advocacy Action Alerts, and other program updates
- Donate and encourage your family and friends to do the same
- Stock up on Conquering CHD swag and show your support every day