Welcome to Conquering CHD - Virginia
At Conquering CHD - Virginia, we exist to conquer the most common birth defect. We engage, listen, learn, and act. We create visibility and empower all impacted by CHD. We accomplish this through awareness, knowledge, community, and research.
*This State Chapter has received the Honor Roll Award for outstanding performance in support of our mission.
Please scroll down for more information about Conquering CHD - Virginia
Local activities include:
- Conquering CHD Kits offering critical information and a personal connection for patients with CHD of all ages through individualized care packages
- Online chat networks bringing people with similar experiences together
- In-person peer support offering patients and families encouragement and insight from someone who has walked a similar path
- Social events providing a safe environment to celebrate life and simple joys together
- Physician education improving understanding of congenital heart disease from the patient and family perspective
- Research promotion and participation helping promising developments become reality
- Advocacy activities sharing our stories to improve federal research funding
The Zipperstrong Project
Through Zipperstrong, Winchester, Virginia Photographer SheRae Hunter helps raise awareness of congenital heart disease by giving outsiders a glimpse into the CHD world. Her powerful images capture the strength and vitality of children fighting congenital heart disease, while helping families see just how proud their children are to simply be themselves, scars and all.
The Zipperstrong Project has been featured in local Virginia news outlets, on The Mighty, and annually featured at area heart centers and at the Hope Marietta Foundation's Casino Night, which raises awareness about congenital heart disease and supports CHD causes in Virginia. Look for the release of our 2021 Zipperstrong Project during CHD awareness week in February.
Learn more: http://www.zipperstrong.org
Upcoming Events and Activities
A Conversation with Yves d'Udekem, M.D., Ph.D.Date: January 29, 2021 7:00 pm ET Location: Virtual
Please join the Board of Conquering CHD-Virginia as we welcome Children National Hospital's new chief cardiac surgeon and Heart Institute co-director Dr. d'Udekem and talk with him about his vision for the future of cardiac surgery and care at Children's National.Register Here! >
Connect With Us!
- Subscribe to our e-updates!
- For more information about volunteer opportunities with the Virginia chapter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join our online chat networks to connect with individuals and families with similar experiences:
Find us on Social Media:
Conquering CHD - Virginia is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Our tax exempt or EIN number is: 81-5481933. For additional documentation of our tax exempt status, please contact email@example.com.
You can learn more about our organization in our GuideStar profile.
Please give generously to support our state chapter activities!Give to Conquering CHD - Virginia
Meet the Virginia Volunteer Board
Chapter President – Laura Carpenter
Chapter Vice President/Communications Coordinator – Renee Lang
Chapter Treasurer/Fundraising Coordinator – Kristen Essex
Chapter Teen/Adult Co-Coordinator - Scott Salvaggio
Chapter Teen/Adult Co-Coordinator - Amy O'Connor
Chapter Board Member at Large - Jennifer Smith
Chapter Board Member at Large - Carolyn Fingerman
Conquering CHD Stories
Carter Fidel Williams
"When we first learned of our son's congenital heart defect, we wanted to ensure that we were equipped to face this challenge. We are very grateful for CCHD, the information and support we received was invaluable as it properly prepared us for this journey." - Shuntae WilliamsFull Story>