Congenital Heart Disease is the most common birth defect.
We are Conquering CHD
We exist to conquer the most common birth defect.
We engage, listen, learn, and act. We create visibility and empower all impacted by CHD.
We accomplish this through awareness, knowledge, community, and research.
Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) consists of problems with the heart’s structure or the way it works that are present at birth, including related lifelong consequences. Learn more about the most common birth defect and how to get CHD support.
- 1 in 100 newborns are born with CHD
- 25% of children born with CHD need heart surgery or other interventions to survive
- There is no cure. CHD is a lifelong disease requiring ongoing specialized care
- Fewer than 10% of adults with CHD are receiving recommended care
- #1 cause of birth defect related deaths
- Costs for hospitalizations related to congenital heart disease were more than $6 billion in 2013
- CHDs are 50 times more common than childhood cancer
- Most causes of CHDs are unknown. Only 15-20% of all CHDs are related to known genetic conditions
- Over 85% of babies born with a CHD now live to at least age 18
- CHDs can have lifelong neurodevelopmental and neurocognitive effects
Conquering CHD Stories
"There is nothing more powerful than using my story to make a difference. Conquering CHD helped me do this in Washington D.C., including the opportunity to have my name mentioned on the floor of the House of Representatives!"Full Story>