As the COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing, Conquering CHD is committed to providing its community with trusted resources from expert sources. Please continue to watch this blog and our social media channels for information pertinent to the CHD community.
Read our original statement on COVID-19 from March 13, 2020 here.
WHAT WE KNOW (updated March 30th)
- CHD patients of all ages remain in the ‘high risk for serious illness from COVID-19’ category, as defined by CDC
- WHO, CDC, and White House officials have recommended Social Distancing for individuals, communities, and organizations
- Governors have issued mandatory Social Distancing or Shelter-in-Place orders in many States, including closing non-essential businesses
- Primary school systems and higher education programs have canceled in-person classes and moved to virtual learning
- American College of Cardiology and American Academy of Pediatrics helped an emergency funding package get signed into law, allowing an increase to telemedicine services
WHAT HAS CHANGED SINCE LAST WEEK (updated March 30th)
- Conquering CHD has heard your concerns around the uncertainty of COVID-19 for those living with CHD. In response, we have collaborated with experts at Arbormetrix to create the InformCHD database. This is research that matters to all of us, and it matters right now. Visit conqueringchd.org/InformCHD for full program details and to participate!
- Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Outcome Collaborative has issued recommendations on coping with stress and worry during COVID-19, for youth, teens and adults (see resources below).
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW (updated March 30th)
- Continue practicing Social Distancing and Shelter-in-Place techniques
- Wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your face
- Sanitize and clean your home often
- Communicate with your medical team as needed
- Advocate for telemedicine appointments where appropriate
- Connect with others using social media, video chat services, text and phone calls
TRUSTED RESOURCES (updated March 30th)
Coping with Stress and Worry During COVID-19, CNOC
Helping Children Cope with Stress and Worry During COVID-19, CNOC
Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients, AHA
WeGo Health’s #HighRiskCovid19 campaign (Twitter)
Manage Anxiety & Stress, CDC
Mitigation Strategies for Communities with COVID-19, CDC
How to Talk to Your Kids About COVID-19, Dr. Melissa Cousino, PhD
Information on COVID-19 and Congenital Heart Disease, CHPHC
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Information About COVID-19, CDC
Coronavirus Guidance for Adult & Pediatric Patients with CHD, Michigan Medicine
When & How to Wash Your Hands, CDC
Children and Youth with Special Healthcare Needs in Emergencies, CDC
Coronavirus Guidelines for America, The White House
Social Distancing for CHD Patients & Families, Conquering CHD