The Heart-Brain Connection: The Impact of CHD on Neurodevelopment – From Infancy to Adulthood
Thank you to everyone who participated in our live webinar “The Impact of CHD on Neurodevelopment – From Infancy to Adulthood” on June 28th, 2022, as part of our Heart Connection 2022 webinar series. Read on for the summary and full video presentation.
We couldn’t meet in person in Washington D.C. this year, however, we felt our community would benefit from the incredible content we’d planned. Heart Connection 2022 Virtual Education Series presents all of our favorite topics from the annual conference in an easy-to-attend, easy-to-digest format – for all those impacted by CHD – patients, family members, and care team members. Our educational sessions will include live and pre-recorded presentations and panel discussions featuring experts in the field, as well as the patients and families who experience all aspects of CHD in their daily lives. For full program details, please visit our Heart Connection 2022 website: https://www.conqueringchd.org/involvement/heart-connection/
Our most recent Heart Connection 2022 episode was a live webinar about the impacts of CHD on neurodevelopment throughout the lifespan – from infancy to adulthood. We were joined by experts from Children’s Hospital Colorado and Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital.
The panelists covered the following and more:
- Prevalence of neurodevelopmental impairment in children and adults with CHD
- Factors across the lifespan that impact brain development
- Typical neurodevelopmental characteristics in patients with CHD
- High-risk criteria for neurodevelopmental impairment and recommended screening
- And questions from the audience!
You can watch the recording of the live panel here:
For more information and the resources mentioned in the presentation:
- Conquering CHD: Navigating the K-12 Education System with CHD webinar https://www.conqueringchd.org/hc-navigating-the-k-12-education-system-with-chd/
- Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare
- Taking Charge of ADHD by Russell Barkley
- The Whole-Brain Child and No Drama Discipline by Daniel Siegel
- Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Outcome Collaborative (www.cardiacneuro.org)
- www.understood.org for information about many different neurodevelopmental diagnoses
- www.additudemag.com for information about ADHD/ADD
- www.wrightslaw.com for information about IEPs/special education law
Our Heart Connection 2022 webinar series provides educational presentations each month until November 2022 for patients, families, care team members, etc., in the CHD community. If you have follow-up questions from any presentation, a topic you’d like to see us cover in the future, or are an expert willing to collaborate, we would love to hear from you. Email the HC 2022 team today: firstname.lastname@example.org